Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Special Introductory Price Level

OK now that I've got a specific tour that I need to sell tickets for, I'm wrestling with the question of what my Special Introductory Price should be. That is: I'm prepared to charge pretty much any level to ensure that this first bus is full of riders, because these 57 people will be my key word-of-mouth promoters for future trips.

Should I make this trip FREE?

Should I charge something that feels nominal, like $19.99?

Or is this approach a mistake, and should I make the introductory price for this first trip something like $49, so as to ensure that when the price does go up for future trips people don't get mad at me or something?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The introductory price game can be a tricky way to go...I'd actually charge your standard-planned price, but consider a one-time extra bonus, such as a voucher for say, 10 USD, valid at any of the participating bookshops to be visited on that run.

You want your word-of-mouth promoters to have a real feel of "was it worth the price", rather than recommending it heartily mainly because they got the trip for free or dead cheap.

So exciting!

Best,
Margaret

Andy Laties said...

Thanks Margaret. Coming from a travel pro like you this is very significant advice.